Tuesday, February 2, 2021

INHALE, EXHALE, REPEAT AS NECESSARY

 

In trying times, sometimes we forget that all we have to do to get through the day is inhale, exhale, repeat as necessary! We have to remind ourselves sometimes that getting worked up about things that are beyond our control is futile and a huge waste of energy.  


    It can be as simple as the person in front of you in traffic not going fast enough (which of course is not in your realm of control) or yelling about the price of gas or groceries. Don't get me wrong, you should vent your frustrations because keeping it all in can also lead to anxiety and and anger. BUT you can vent by calmly talking about it, or, of course, use the Serenity Prayer:

God Grant Me The Serenity

To Accept The Things I Cannot Change,

Courage To Change The Things I Can,

And The Wisdom To Know The Difference

    Even if you don't believe in a higher power (God), this will give you a minute to take a breath and re-center. 


    Another thing that helps is actually inhaling while counting slowly to 5, hold the breath for 5 and exhale while counting to 5. That is 15 seconds that you are not thinking about being pissed off. If you are still upset, do it again. (the repeat as necessary...see what I did there?)

    This simple thing will help you calm yourself, and believe it or not will help you make logical decisions.


    I sell cars. When I show people how much a car is going to cost, or what the payment is, and they catch their breath, (stop breathing) I will tell them...Okay, inhale, exhale, repeat as necessary. They think it's a humorous thing I am saying to lighten things up, and in a way I am. BUT I am also letting them know that there is no reason to panic. JUST BREATHE....

    It is, as a matter of fact, easier said than done.  No one expects you to be calm all the time. If you can catch yourself just one time today, a couple of times tomorrow and a few more times the next day, you will find that very soon  you will quit reacting as emotionally as you might today.  People remark to me about how level I am most of the time. Because I have over time learned to apply this simple thing to pretty much everything in my life. Don't get me wrong. I do fly off the handle and get pissed. But WAY less than I used to. As a result, people I know don't like to upset me. (no one can make me mad. Mad is a reaction to another person) They know if they push me to that point it will be ugly. I don't like to show people that side, so I just Inhale, Exhale, repeat as necessary.


Please check out my book, The Self Help Book for People Who Hate Self Help Books. Available on Amazon, and other readers. 


    Amazon             NOOK, iBooks and other e-readers



Keep Coming Back


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog has been in Quarantine

Ok, so I put my blog in Quarantine since last September , lest it be infected  with all the Covid, Vax, and political B.S. that is running r...