Sunday, November 20, 2016

TO GROUP OR NOT TO GROUP...LEAVE ME OUTTA THIS

With the advent of modern technology, the chain letter was replaced by the chain email which was replaced with the chain Facebook post which has been replaced by the chain text. 

You know, the text where you are included with 65 other people wanting to have you reply or comment to everything from Boxer or Briefs, to political views, to saying Amen, Drinks at Bob's who's in?.... to countless situations...about this time of year you will be getting group texts about Cornbread or Rye Bread Stuffing...Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays...Turkey or Tofu...So and So is having a party, rsvp...yadda yadda yadda...

Point is, I don't mind getting a text from anyone about anything. My phone pings and I look at it, and at that point decide to respond or ignore.  My bug bear is when I have to listen to my phone ping half a dozen times in a 2 minute period because everyone else is responding to the sender, and being part of the group, it is assumed that I give a crap about what everyone else thinks.  "Text me back or you are not my friend..."  What is this? Third grade?  Here's a thought....Friends don't send friends stupid group texts!" 

So, about now, dear reader, you are saying, just delete it and unjoin the thread.  I have enough threads in my life that I should not HAVE to unjoin something that I did not join in the first place.  There are times that group texts are easier for sharing things. At work, Everyone gets a daily sales report group texted to them. Fine. Necessary and expected. But when someone asked a question on that thread and everyone starts answering it's a pain in the ass. ding...ding...dingdingdingding....

It's part of life, can't be avoided, so, feel free to group text all you want, but don't feel bad if I don't reply. 

While we are on the subject of annoying text messages, What is up with all this invasive advertising on your phone now?  I can't go to Walmart, Home Depot, Bed Bath and Beyond or even McDonalds without my phone pinging, and a text ad saying you are at Walmart...look at these specials...Again, I could shut off my location access but WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO DO THAT??? Any thoughts?  We will address this at another time.

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog has been in Quarantine

Ok, so I put my blog in Quarantine since last September , lest it be infected  with all the Covid, Vax, and political B.S. that is running r...